Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Inspirational Christian Author, Kevin Lewis, Shares His Writing

Kevin, can you tell us about yourself.
 I am a 36 year old Christian author. I grew up in a town in Florida called Niceville, Florida. I currently live in the Charlotte, North Carolina area. I am not married and have no kids but am ready for that next part of my life. I have four academic degrees including a Masters in Business Administration and a Masters in Information Technology. I actually did not know God or Jesus until the age of 30, when I received my salvation. I love God and Jesus with all of my heart.  I started writing books when I was 32 years of age. The reason that I started to write is because I was praying one day and God inspired me to start writing. I had never written anything before that time. However, from that day forward I have had no problem writing anything. Anytime I sit down to write anything the words just truly flow out of me. I currently have two books published. The first one is called Water for the Christian Spirit Vol. 1 and the second book is called Devotionals for Living Free. Both of the books are inspirational poetry books. My third book coming out later this year is going to be a Christian children’s book.
Tell us about the genre of your work.
 The genre of work that I write is Christian inspirational writing. I write to share the Word of God with readers and to inspire readers to have a closer relationship with God. It is a rewarding genre because it is such a life-changing genre.
Why did you choose this genre?
 Well I should say the genre chose me. Through prayer I discovered that God had a plan for me to be a writer. God is definitely a great provider. As anytime that I need to write anything he supplies the perfect words for me to get the message across to my readers.

What are some of your books, stories that have been published? 

 As previously stated I have two books Water for the Christian Spirit Vol. 1 and Devotionals for Living Free. I have also contributed to Relationships and Other Stuff  Vol. 3: True Stories and Poems from Men and Relationships and Other Stuff: True Stories about Relationships. In addition, I maintain a weekly blog @ my website: http://authorkevinlewis.com 

What ages do you direct your books?
 My first two books are directed at all age groups, because they are for any reader but mainly Christian readers. The third book will be directed at children ages 4 to 8.

Can you tell us more about the books?
Water for the Christian Spirit Vol. 1 is a book of inspirational Christian poetry which is for any Christian believer young or old. The book is meant to inspire a closer relationship with God. The book can currently be found on Amazon.com and the ISBN is 9780982366806
Devotionals for Living Free is a book of Inspirational Christian poetry which is also for any Christian believer. This book is also meant to inspire a closer relationship with God. The book has themed poems within different chapters and an additional section of helpful information for every believer. This book can be found on Amazon.com and the ISBN is 9781456317997

Do your books have a teaching objective?  If so, what is it?

The teaching objective of my books is to inspire people to seek a relationship with God if they do not have one. If they have already received their salvation, then the objective is to inspire the reader to have a closer relationship with God each day.

How do you come up with the names of places and characters in your books? 

 I can actually explain how I come up with the poems in my books. I pray before I sit down and write. In addition, I study the Word of God and am always looking for new revelation within the Word. When I sit down to actually write the words come out of me from Godly inspiration and revelation from what I have received in prayer and studying. The titles of poems come to me at different times. I can be anywhere and get a title for a poem. I will write the title down and then when I get in my spirit the time is right for that poem I will sit down and write the poem. 

How did you develop the character/s of your in each of your books? 

This really does not relate to my current books, but does relate to the book I am working on. I developed the character of my upcoming children’s book through prayer and then sitting down and writing a story that would be an inspiration to parents and kids alike. 

What is your favorite thing about your book/s?
My favorite thing about my books is that they honor God and inspire people to seek a relationship with God and Jesus. Moreover, the books help other Christians develop a deeper relationship in their Christian walk.

How is writing in the genre you write, different than other genre?

The genre that I write is very different from other genre’s because the genre focuses on Christian readers.
Are there any problems in getting children’s’ books published?

 I have a publisher but with self publishing it is quite easy to get any book published including Children’s books.
What is your writing schedule?
I write every week, but usually I take a year in between books to write my next book.

What projects are you working on now, or plan for the future?
 I am currently working on completing a Children’s book.
What kind of advice or tips to you have for someone who wants to write and get published?
 I would say make sure that you learn grammar rules. While spell check is great, it will not catch every error. Do not give up, keep submitting your work. Not everyone will like what you write but it only takes one person to like your work to become published by a company. Always keep writing and improving your writing. Never think that you have arrived. Even the best need to continue to practice.

Are there any other comments, advice or tips that you would give to beginning writers?
 I would say write what is in your heart and always keep writing from that place. People can tell if you are sincere and when we write from the heart, the writing is always sincere.

What do you do when you are not writing?
Hard to answer because I am always blogging and writing. I would say that I keep developing my relationship with God. I can never learn everything about he Bible and I will never lose my zeal for developing a deeper relationship with God. I also am into health and fitness, movies, and traveling. In addition, I love to sing and am often singing throughout the day.

Anything else you would like to add?
 I would say to everyone out there to keep following any dreams you have. Nothing is impossible and you can achieve each and every dream that you have.
What “Made It” moments have you experienced in life?
The made it moment was actually seeing my first book published and being able to tell all my family and friends to check it out. Then my parents telling me about how proud they were of me. That means a great deal to me and touches my heart each time I think about it.
Find out more about Kevin on these sites: 


Twitter: @kevin_l_lewis



Note from Sylvia: You can visit my other blog at: http://love-faith-and-guts.blogspot.com/that features a preview to my new book, Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I started writing books when I was 32 years of age. The reason that I started to write is because I was praying one day and God inspired me to start writing. I had never written anything before that time.
Inspirational

StevenHWicker said...

Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Local north carolina authors