Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Margaret Millmore Tells us about Her First Novel, Doppelganger Experiment

I was born and raised in Southern California; I moved to San Francisco in 1991 and currently reside there with my husband.  Reading is an addiction for me, and one I’ll never give up.  I’ve had an active imagination since childhood and often made up stories that I only told to myself.  After ending a successful career, I found myself with the time to pursue those stories, and the floodgates opened.  I love just about every kind of story, but especially fiction, throw in some supernatural or paranormal overtones and I’m in heaven.  I am the grandniece of Irish author Benedict Kiely and the second cousin of Irish author Sharon Owens.

Tell us about the genre of your work.

Doppelganger Experiment is a psychological thriller (with a paranormal overtone) based in San Francisco. 

Why did you choose this genre?

I’m a fan of almost all fiction; I started early on with CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia and quickly moved on to Ray Bradbury and then Stephen King and Dean Koontz (and so many others). I enjoy reading thrillers/suspense, but if you throw a little paranormal or a touch of urban fantasy, well I’m in heaven.

What are some of your books, stories that have been published?

Aside from Doppelganger Experiment, I have only had two flash fiction stories published. They were via a contest held by Bay Area Artist Kenny Mencher and are based on some of his drawings.

What ages do you direct your books? 

I would recommend 16 and older. My novel does not have any sexual content (although there is some flirting), but it does contain some violence and adult language.

Can you tell us more about the book, and where we can find it?

After more than four weeks in a coma, Jane woke up to find several things wrong; she didn’t remember the last three years, she was married to a man she didn’t know, and frightening dreams were infiltrating her sleep. But were they dreams or memories? As she struggles to recapture a life she doesn’t remember she discovers clues that lead to flashes of memories and the discovery of horrific experiments that end in murder... and something worse than murder.  A psychological thriller based in San Francisco.

ISBN-10: 1937593207 ISBN-13: 978-1937593209


My flash fiction can be found on my website at www.margaretmillmore.com
 (Flash Fiction tab) or


Do your books have a teaching objective?  If so, what is it?

No, they are simply entertainment.

How do you come up with the names of places and characters in your books?  

I’ve lived in San Francisco for twenty years, so it was a natural step for me to place the novel in the City. As for the character names, they just sort of come to me.


How did you develop the character/s in each of your books (If you have more than one)?  

Jane is my protagonist and since the story is told from her point of view, I wanted her to be strong, but to also show a little vulnerability. The other characters developed as the story developed, they sort of wrote each other.


Is there a unique character or a recurring character if you have more than one published or to be published book?

No, I only have one published novel.

What is your favorite thing about your book?

The journey of writing itself, my story started with a small idea, but as the characters developed and the plot emerged, I found the entire process exciting and looked forward to what each new day would bring.

How is writing in the genre you write, different than other genre?

I’m not really sure that it’s so different from other genres, simply because each genre requires something special and different, so in a sense they all have a common thread.

Why and when did you begin writing?

 I’ve been making up stories since I was a young child and even though I never thought to pursue this career when I was younger, it seems that it’s pursued me. When the opportunity came up to write, I jumped at it.


What is your writing schedule?

Staying on track and keeping a schedule seems to be a hard thing for me, life just keeps interrupting. I do have a daily schedule that I strive for:  I’m up around 5:30 or 6, I spend an hour catching up on emails, then another on promotional matters and then I dedicate the remainder of the day to writing. Sounds like a perfect schedule doesn’t it? It isn’t though; it only works about half the time… I end up waking up some days at 4 in the morning because I can’t stop thinking about the book, so I get up and write… or I find myself working well after 6 in the evening. If given a specific date to get something done, I can comply, but when the schedule is mixed with my daily life of family, friends and home… well I guess I just do the best I can.

What projects are you working on now, or plan for the future?

 I’m working on a new thriller, but it’s in the very early stages, so at this point, there isn’t much to tell.

What kind of advice or tips do you have for someone who wants to write and get published?

 It is hard work, so be prepared for that. You need to dedicate yourself to you project and know that it won’t come easy. Perseverance is the key.

Are there any other comments, advice or tips that you would give to beginning writers?

Don’t give up! Write your book, edit and revise as many times as needed until its perfect. Use all the resources around, the internet can provide you with so much advice from how to write, to how to find an agent or publisher. Don’t let the frustration and rejections get you down, it will take a while, but you can do it!

What do you do when you are not writing?

 I read a great deal, but when we can, my husband and I enjoy travelling. We recently completed a trip to Ireland, Amsterdam and London and plan on making the continental US our stomping grounds for travel in 2012.

What “Made It” moments have you experienced in life?

Oddly, life has been a series of “made it” moments for me. I consider all the good and positive things “made it” moments from the success of my marriage, the day I’d received my first substantial promotion (I’d started at the bottom of the ladder and worked very hard to get to the top), the purchase of my first home, even the day we brought our cats home from the SPCA, and of course the acceptance of my book by a publisher. There is so much negativity around us, I refuse to allow it swallow up the good, so I consider the “good” and “great” events of my life to be “made it” moments.

You can find out more about Margaret and her writing at the following websites:


You can visit my other blog at: http://love-faith-and-guts.blogspot.com/ that features a preview to my new book that will be released in 2012, Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts.

No comments: